Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Man plans, God laughs

Isn't that the cliche that works in this case?  On the other hand I remember that David used to quite enjoy driving all over the back roads of North Dakota and Minnesota.  We found some very beautiful spots, and a couple of scary situations, but overall it made for a nice day spent, most of the time.  We had a rather unplanned day today.

Yesterday, too late to phone back, we found a message on the phone about an assessment for Obstructive Sleep Apnea, that we knew had been requested.  David phoned  this morning, about 9:00, and we were told that it could be done today, if we could get there by 10:45--w-a-a-a-y over on the other side of town.  We were both in our nightclothes, and needed showers.  Not only did we make it, but we got lost on the way and had to phone for directions--which she had trouble providing because she couldn't figure out where we were, in relation to where we should have been.  Since it was at a private clinic, we had to pay--not a pleasant task, and David objected.  But since we had been warned, one that had to be done.  Fille dout many, many forms, went through an orientation class, and got a monitor, to use tonight.  It has to be returned early tomorrow morning--again across town.

 Then we headed North on Route 90, travelling through a great deal of construction, to the specialty tea store.  I buy my tea there as I've found that the green tea I get in the grocery store makes me throw up--"nuff said about that.  Of course, I screwed up my credit card paying for the tea, and ended up with my card blocked and un-usable.  Frustration and bad words.

Then North again to Blue Cross to take in the receipt from the clinic.  Nowhere to park within blocks, and it's now noon hour, so we know the place will be busy.  So I drove around the block umpteen times, while David went in.  I finally found a place to park where he could find me, and waited, for what turned out to be a half hour.  We were not covered for the expense, but can claim it on our taxes.  Whoopee!

So off to the bakery, but some confusion about whether the bakery was on Notre Dame or Logan.  Bad words.  Next stop was the mall near home, where we went into Sears to buy the specialty socks that I like, since there will be no more compression stockings.  Has anyone shopped at Sears lately?  The local store has been renovated.  Most departments have been relocated, and all of the service desks have been amalgamated into three main desks with several stations and unbelievably long lines.  There are very, very few clerks on the floor, so, if you need to ask a question, such as "where can I find socks", you must join the line, and wait 20 minutes or so to ask your question.  Then, you find the item on your own, and go back and join the line again, and wait another 20 minutes until it's your turn to pay.  More frustration and bad words.

We had heard a rumor that Sears was about to go under.  I quite believe it.  Almost everything in the store was on sale today at 50% to 60% off.  This is barely above cost, if you follow the pattern of retail using a 100% mark up on wholesale.  I have to wonder if they're trying to liquidate assets.  I also noted that items that I usually buy, are now of much poorer quality than I'm used to, so maybe they have changed suppliers in an effort to reduce cost. 

So we left Sears, and off to the Credit Union to find out what had to happen to re-activate my credit card.  Had to give up the PIN that I really liked, but bit the bullet, and 'tis done.  Then Starbucks, Where I found out that my Starbucks card is just about out of funds. Finally home.

At that point all I wanted was a quiet room to de-compress, and drink my coffee, but we had both missed lunch, so that had to be taken care of.  I have a couple of fairly urgent jobs to take care of this evening, and then the task of setting up the body monitor for David.  Maybe I can de-compress tomorrow.  Whoops!  Maybe not.  We'll have to get up early to take the machine back, and then head for the doctor's office, again, to pickup the forms to renew my parking pass. ( Message on the phone when we got home)  That will then have to be delivered to the Parking Pass office, as my current pass ends Nov 30th, and it takes two weeks, minimum, for the renewal to come through.  Maybe I can have some warm coffee tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment