Sunday, May 6, 2012

Puttering yet again

I seem to be puttering around about every three weeks.  Each time I find more "stuff" that needs to live somewhere else.  My Ravenesque group needed a hostess at the last minute, so are coming here tomorrow.  This spurred a clean-up, downstairs which lead to today's putter.  I found several jackets that will move on to the local thrift store.  One is a very good jacket, but does not flatter me at all, so has to go.  I was also getting two pictures ready to go into a show out in Selkirk when I discovered that one piece had a problem with the framing and had to be re-considered.  David spent the afternoon taking all  the beads off, and expressed surprise at how many there actually were. 

A couple of weeks ago, during a putter in the computer room, I found a piece of paper that looked as though Mom had typed it, listing some birth, marriage and death records within the Upjohn family. Mom's Mother was an Upjohn, but these people appeared to be one generation further back.  Reading this, you would have to believe that the Upjohns in America came to Canada through the Southern States, as one was recorded as having died in a Civil War battle.  Anyway, cousin Beryl Robbins is very into geneaology, and I offered the paper to her.  Yesterday morning I delivered it to her while she was working at a gargage/basement sale at the United Church on Helmsdale.  (They live out in the Cook's Creek area on an acreage.  They have been trying to sell it for quite awhile, but no luck) Beryl and I get together for coffee about twice a year, when she is in the city and has nothing better to do while her husband is at Bible study.  This trip to the basement sale lead us to stop in at two more church sales on the way home, where I bought a broken necklace and four hard-backed cork coasters.   David was curious about the coasters and I had to explain that I wanted to use them when dyeing fabric.  Are you still with me?  When he understood what I wanted to do, he suggested that I should visit the Re-Store to see if I could get something sturdier than the coasters.  Not only did I get several different shapes of ceramic tiles, I discovered that a local bead store gives their old stock to the Re-Store.  Bonus!

Next we discussed how I was going to use these things, which lead to a trip to Rona to buy C-clamps.  The poor man there didn't know how to answer my question about whether the foam-clad clamps they had would absorb the dye when I used them to clamp together pieces of fabric in a dye bath.  After getting home, David tried to wash some of the clay/sand/mud that had been left on the car during our trip on Wednesday.  It was like concrete!  He ended up using the pressure washer, but that lead to the stuff being washed down our driveway, so David had to then wash down that.  It's still a bit of a mess out there.

Beth, this is how I spend my time--puttering in the basement and confusing store clerks.

Yesterday, I was very grateful not to have been injured, maimed or murdered while trying to look at old jewelry at garage sales.  Some of those old dolls at church sales are really viscious!

No comments:

Post a Comment