Friday, December 21, 2012

Refrigerator cookies

 
I'm so glad you took the high road, with your lady, Beth. It sounds as though you feel quite good about your decision--and that is the true test.

We had made some of these awhile ago--one batch with walnuts and one with pecans-- but the flavour just wasn't what I remembered from home.  The recipe calls for shortening, and I had been using margarine, and the flavour was just flat.  I figured that shortening wouldn't help with that, so we made some with butter today.  The texture has changed, but I'm not sure about the flavour.  I figure they must be called "Butterscotch Refrigerator cookies for a reason.  Any way, we like the change, subtle as it may be.  Now we just have to try to save a couple to eat cold--not going to happen today.

We bought some chocolate bars from a fundraiser for Jessica's Brownie troop, and Amber delivered them last night.  We had one last night and shared another this evening.  I don't think we'll be fighting over the rest.

The committee I joined at the local art group has been having some problems.  I'm quite frustrated with what's happening, and David wants me to resign.  This is the first time I've volunteered for anything with this group and I want to maintain my reputation, so feel that I must continue, at least until the end of the year. To do otherwise will label me in an unpleasant way.  So now I have to find someway of converting this into a positive experience.  Maybe this is an opportunity for me to learn patience and discretion, and to learn how to keep the blood from running out of my mouth when I bite my tongue.

A local gallery has accepted a couple of my very small pieces.  They are very optimistic about selling them, and have advised me that they will call for more, in hopes of getting a quick delivery. Since each piece takes a very full day to make, I've been working on having 3-4 ready to go, as this is the peak selling period, and I would like to be able to deliver, on request.  So the past few days have been spent in the studio, but I think that sometime soon, I'm going to have to think about wrapping some gifts.

For today, I'm grateful that the sewing machine I bought is a work horse and not a show horse.

P.S.  I managed to save a couple of the cookies and the flavour and texture remain after 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment