Sunday, December 23, 2012

Strange days

I think I  mentioned that we were in limbo waiting for Christmas.  I have company coming in early January, so am delaying a major clean-up until after Christmas, although we're keeping up with the day to day stuff.  But we're both laid back, relaxed, and just "waiting".  Today I made the Melting Moments, and will ice them on Tuesday morning.  The gifts are wrapped, and under the tree, along with a can of Cranberry jelly.  I was very tired yesterday, and thought I might have a nap, but got caught up in a marathon of The Negotiator, and sat watching, in my nightie, most of the afternoon.  I can't remember myself ever just sitting on a Saturday afternoon--just not done.  Finally, I was just heading for the bedroom when the phone rang. It was the chair of the committee I've mentioned, and in the end, there were some computer things I had to do for her.  I understood that it was fairly urgent, as we are working toward an end of month deadline for the organization newsletter.  So, still in my nightie, I spent about an hour getting everything done, and off to her,  Not even a response  as simple as "info received". Needless to say, I never did get my nap.   During our conversation, she had said that she wanted to get stuff done as she was starting to get busy with her family  for Christmas.  I'm wondering if that means that she is not planning to do anything more until the New Year. As I often do, when someone's behaviour surprises me, I tried to figure it all out, and ended up wondering if she had ever worked outside the home.  Bet she hadn't. My first job, with the telephone company, taught me to not make any sort of commitment/promise that I didn't fully intend to meet, and all of my further jobs drilled in a sense for setting priorities.  I know that there is constant discussion about family/non-family priorities, and that some people would take me to task about how I view those different  priorities, but a deadline is just that, and the consequences for missing this one are significant.  One thing I learned working in health care, is guerrilla warfare.  I have been plotting her demise.  Probably won't do anything, but do find some satisfaction in the plotting.  ( and what else is there to do in bed, when I can't sleep?)

Late Friday we went to the library.  I got out three one-week books, but didn't start reading until yesterday morning.  Unless I play poker tonight, I will have all three read by bedtime.  That is how busy I am.  but since the library is closed most of next week, I think I better slow down.  Hard to do.  The third book is by Maeve Binchey.  I do enjoy her books!  So very different than the murder mysteries I usually read.

What this is all leading up to is the peaceful, relaxed feeling I have right now, and for which I am grateful. At the same time, I sort of hope I can get a little less relaxed, if I want to win at poker tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment