Sunday, January 13, 2013

Adventure in disappointment

Today we made up the recipe for appetizer tortieres from the Kraft recipes.  I had bought the goodies a couple of weeks ago and we have just been waiting for  "the day".  It is a cream cheese pastry made with butter.  I mixed up a batch and it was so dry that I had to add water to get it to form together.  So we discussed it, and decided that maybe I hadn't beaten the cream cheese and butter long enough.  I had extra goodies so made a second batch, beating the heck out of the fats, but in the end the same result.  Since we had double the pastry, we made up double the filling.  The spices were allspice, cloves and nutmeg (??).  David had to roll the thick, heavy  pastry to 1/8" thick.  He worked his heart out and  we ended up with 45 little tortieres, instead of 48, but figured that was okay.  I could have done with one batch of filling.  We cooked off one tray and ate them for lunch, while debating whether to mix up some regular pastry and just make a regular tortiere out of the remaining filling.  We both ended up voting for throwing it out.  So I have 32 miniature tortieres in the freezer.  We both seem to think that we enjoyed the pastry better than the filling.

I didn't step out the door yesterday, but David was out blowing snow--along with all of the other neighbours.  Then we listened to the heavy equipment clearing Munroe for most of the night, although they haven't reached our street yet. There hasn't been snow since yesterday and the roads appear passable, so we're hoping to get out to the mall a little later so that I can mail a birthday card to Amber.

Otherwise I am very busy working on samples for the class in machine quilting that I will be teaching a couple of times in the next couple of months.  It is such intense work that I have to pace myself carefully, or else I suddenly realize that I'm exhausted, and must NAP NOW!!  I think I may post something on my other blog, as it's been a couple of months.  There just doesn't seem to be the incentive, when I can't post pictures.

I am grateful that one of the little purses I took into the gallery at the Forks sold.  I got the cheque on Friday. And I'm very grateful that the snow has stopped.

P.S.  It is now 8 hours later, and we are both still tasting the cloves in those little tortieres. I measured the spices very carefully, but the aftertaste is relentless. We are going to throw out the 3 doz we had frozen and tear the recipe into tiny, tiny pieces.  Do not make this recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment