Thursday, January 24, 2013

Exploring interests

I think that one of the greatest advantages of retirement is the freedom to explore interests--such as folding napkins.  I paid over $20.00 for my book on Japanese bags, but the pleasure it has given me is almost priceless.  It is purely for my own pleasure, although if someone offered me money for one of the bags, I would take it--because I have had the pleasure of creating the bag, and can have it again--whenever I want. You found small pleasure in a second hand book.  And the pleasure was enhanced, as it was not something you searched out, but rather an unexpected treasure that you came upon by chance. Good for you, Beth.  We should both be grateful for the ability to recognize these opportunities and the freedom to take advantage of them.  Now, does this mean that I need to return the Damask napkins you sent me?

The cold continues. Yesterday David went to get an oil change for the car.  Yes, its been 6 months since we bought it.  They gave it a good going over, and told him that the block heater cord we were concerned about was fine, but the battery was very low and would probably not last another 24 hours in the cold.  It needed a run on the highway.  ( We haven't had it on the highway since we up to see you, Cathy, last fall)  So we spent yesterday afternoon driving around outside the perimeter. Not an adventure, and not much fun, especially without the radio and minimal heat.

Today, I finally finished putting together the handouts for the machine quilting class.  I love being able to cross another item off my list, and this is a big-y, even if the list is mental.  Proudly started the printing process, and Low Ink Warning.  Arg-g-g-h!  Well payday is next week, so there is still time before the first class Feb 2nd.

Today I am grateful again for food and shelter, even if I do have to wear winter underwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment