Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Today's adventure

Don't know if you have ever tried this.  We had a huge shopping list , and first on it was the dollar store.  We were looking for a bucket to replace the old gallon ice cream pail that I have used for almost 15 years to store potatoes in the pantry.  We weren't sure where it might be in a fairly large dollar store, so decided to go up and down all the aisles until we found something we could use. What a lot of really neat stuff!!  There was every shape and size of storage container you could want, and I found a couple of plastic bins with holes in the sides for ventilation.  I also found all sorts of containers that I wanted, but couldn't say why, so was convinced to leave behind.  Do you know how much food there is in these stores?  Not many brands you may ever have heard of, but I found a package of sandwich cookies that were tasty and fresh, and only $1.25.  ( I think I have bought these before)  There are all sorts of crackers, mostly made in China, and a heart attack waiting to happen.  Did you know you can buy socks there?  Nice fluffy ones to wear in  bed.  Knitting yarn?  You can even buy underwear there--not that I plan to.  All sorts of health and beauty aids.  Enough makeup to supply a chorus line. Gardening implements and plastic gnomes and trolls.  We spent over 1/2 hour--and could have stayed much longer, and spent less than $20.

The shopping took us over 4 hours and most of our money, but we may not have to leave the house again for the next month.  Today I am grateful for  dollar stores and public washrooms

No comments:

Post a Comment