Thursday, April 24, 2014

Hooded merganser

Ever heard of this duck? I spotted a strange duck at the lake the other day - never seen it before and there was only one swimming in the shallow waters now open around the shore.  Had a white plume at top of head similar to an Iroquois hair cut.  I told my friend Sue about it and she sent back some pictures of this particular merganser and it looks like a match. I haven't spotted it since but I'm on the lookout now. Wondering if it is off it's normal migration path and has lost his buddies?
I enjoyed my Luncheon yesterday with Sue and of course she came bearing gifts for my Birthday. She keeps me in good standing with my Owl collection. She says she wanders about in her excursions and spots different Owls and always says "they were calling your name Beth" so buys them. She had about four different Owls wrapped up in a gift bag. A notepad, a package of serviettes, a candle holder and a solar light for the garden. I felt spoiled! Once the ground warms up, I shall place the solar ornament in my Herb Garden that I made last year. Can hardly wait.  It was a very pleasant outing for me, and I look forward to the next visit with all the others on June 21 at the same Swiss Chalet restaurant in Huntsville. There will be five of us on this occasion - one of whom I have not seen since I left the CCAC in 2007.  Today as soon as it warms up - still hovering around freezing mark with a sharp wind - it will be greenhouse work. I have to make space for more transplanted pots but the shelves are so full, it may be a challenge. The snow is almost gone in our yard - some piles of ice and snow in sheltered areas but if this nicer weather holds up, it should melt soon enough. And if the rains hold off, I shouldn't have big worries with water? so all is good.  How are things there? Take care for now.  ps the issue with blue underlined words is on this end and I am still not sure what. When you put curser on the word a pop up comes up saying something about Spyware? Maybe this computer is infected somehow?

No comments:

Post a Comment