Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Ah, what I'd give for a relaxing day

 I know, I know-last week I was complaining about being bored.  

I have yet to receive my income tax refund.  We filed March the 12th, and David had his within about 10 days, but no sign of mine.  I have been concerned about this for awhile, and on April 2nd set up an account with CRA, but only after almost an hour of frustrating search all over their website for some sort of contact information.  Then I was told that they would have to send me an access code, before I could use my account to get any information.  Two weeks and nothing heard.  The only way I could possibly get to talk to a person, based on information in the website, was to have detailed information about my 2013  tax return, and that was lost when David's computer crashed a few weeks ago.  Today we decided to go to our local Service Canada Centre.   Whoops!  No longer there and the building for lease.

Driving home, cursing and swearing, I had an idea.  Why not try the phone book.  Well, hot damn, there was a number under "refund enquiries". But again I was prompted that info off my 2013 return would be required.  But there was another number for more general enquiries,  and finally, through that number I got to talk to a person!

This poor fellow stayed on the line with me for almost an hour.  He had David going through our file box,  where he found our 2013 return, complete with incorrect address.  Try to imagine this fellow giving me directions, and requesting information, in a very strong East Indian accent, which I then passed on to David, who was getting more and more frustrated, trying to find information in a full banker box of paper.  Interesting times indeed!  Anyway it all came down to the fact that when my 2013 return was filed with an incorrect address, it was filed in a way that made permanent changes in my ongoing file.  While I had thought we corrected the address a year ago, it didn't happen, but when I received my cheque within a couple of days, I had forgotten the whole episode--until this morning.  

So the poor fellow tried to tell me how to submit, via snail mail, a change of address form that could be found on the website, via my account that I can't access until I have an access code that has been sent to the wrong address via snail mail.  Then he put me on hold, and came back to say he had spoken to his supervisor, and they had corrected my address from their end, and were sending me a form, via snail mail, that I could submit to have a duplicate cheque issued, as the first one had not been cashed.  But, if I actually received the cheque, it was valid and I could cash it and forget the form he was sending.

I have to say that this fellow was pleasant, and patient throughout the whole ordeal.  

After all of this, we didn't get anything out for supper in time to thaw so I ordered a pizza, from the new store in the little mall, from their menu.   David went to get it and discovered that I had ordered it from their other store on Academy Rd.

And how was your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment