Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Recipes

Going through Mom's box I found several recipes with different names, that are actually the same thing.  There were several for what I would call Walnut bars.  Several again for Chocolate Slice, or Custard Bars, for what we now call Nanaimo Bars. The term Nanaimo Bars is not that old, and I have also seen it labelled New York slice, but these recipes were quite old, and in Mom's handwriting.  Many of her recipes have someone else's name attached.( Edna's Cookies anyone??) But I also found that the box was fairly empty. I guess all of us have gone through it at some point, and taken what we wanted.

We are in shock.  I have an appointment today to be assessed for foot orthotics ( custom insoles).  I had these before, but evidently the knee replacements change my pressure pattern, and/or gait pattern, and new ones are necessary. Got an appointment reminder call yesterday, and told that I would have to be prepared to pay half today--and then she mentioned the amount--the deposit alone is more than the total cost for a set three years ago.  So here goes the plastic money again, and some serious adjustments to pay it off--just two months after we finally paid it off last time.

But I read in today's paper about how much the falling loonie is affecting, and will be affecting further, the cost of consumer goods.  You both have said that you have already felt the pinch.  Here's to living on a fixed income!  David was reading the stock market report and telling me all about the problems with Volkswagen, expressing comfort in the fact that we don't own any Volkswagen stock,  Not that we own any stock, of any sort, but he reads the report daily, anyway.  

No comments:

Post a Comment