Sunday, February 14, 2016

Not happy times here.....

Believe I mentioned we are going through a really tough cold weather situation right now - not uncommon in winter as you can attest to, but seems to be especially brutal. Friday night was minus 43 and last night the outdoor thermometer registered minus 42.
However last night at midnight we lost our power. The power just came on this afternoon at 3 pm. That was 15 hours without heat!!!
I have been up since midnight - great concern with water and potential for frozen pipes. I had a trickle of water flowing from kitchen and bathroom tap to try to keep it going but remember with wells and water pumps there is no ongoing supply as in the city. If the power is off, so to is the pump. So I was running back and forth to ensure there was water dripping still. I lit a coal oil lamp to keep me company, and sat bundled up in the living room - adding more layers as the indoor temperature dropped. It was eventually 36 degrees F inside by this afternoon when the power came back on.  Now, I have set up two extra heaters - one in the basement room where the pipes are and one in the back room where the plants and Harry's new seeded vegetables are. First thing I did was make a nice cup of coffee, then when I had made sure the house was looked after, I had a nice comforting bowl of French Onion Soup that I made yesterday. Late this morning I went outside and started the car- groan groan- and heated it up and took it around the block.
I backed it into the driveway just in case it won't start tomorrow morning and would be easier for a boost. Things should settle down by tomorrow weather wise, and should be warmer for the rest of the week. Poor Scooby was only able to run out quickly and pee, and then limp in on her cold little paws.
One good thing was that I was able to finish the Gamache novel today The Nature of the Beast while sitting impatiently waiting for the powerHopefully I can find another I haven't read at the library this week.
That's all from here. I reread the Cuba adventures and pretended I was in the warm and sunny tropics haha!
Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment