Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Another adventure

Yesterday, My friend Susanne and I drove out to Steinbach to see our friend Shirley, about whom I've spoken before.  Shirley moved from an independent living center close to Concordia Hospital, to a similar one in Steinbach, to be closer to her family.  The road was good and the weather tolerable, so we got there about 11:00.  After visiting for a few half an hour. Shirley took us to the dining room for lunch.  Then we went to the local Arts Council building, where we viewed a small art show.  I knew a friend had been involved in the show, but not much about it otherwise.  It was a small group that meets once a week at the centre, and paints, or otherwise.  An obviously wide range of skill levels, but, according to the brochure a friendly, non-competitive group.

After visiting the show, Shirley took us to a local bakery, that advertises following a "British" baking model.  Sure enough, Eccles cakes, Steak and Kidney pie, sausage rolls etc.  Not only were they available in the showcase, but also frozen in family size packages.  A few succulent-looking dessert-type goodies, but also a small display of the most intriguing looking cakes.  Turns out that they offer a specialty cake service--for a price.

Not the best place for someone on a diet! Yes, I'm still persevering with the diet.  Eating some very weird things, but they're all supposed to be very healthy.  Cooked spinach for breakfast leaves me cold, and I just can't get used to mixing raw rye flakes and rolled oats, even if they are mixed with yogurt.  The texture just makes me feel uncomfortable.  But David and I have worked out a system for meal preparation that works.  He's slowly working his way through all of the prepared food in the freezer. Sometimes he runs across something outdated, and that'snot a bad thing.  The freezer probably needed a bit of a "sort out".  I've started preparing something in several portions and freezing them for future use.  I balked at opening large cans of beans and such, and facing throwing most of it out--so even canned beans are getting frozen in portions.

This evening my fibre art support group is meeting here.  The basement is ready, and now it's just "hurry up and wait".  But I always enjoy the meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment