Friday, March 11, 2016

Did they like my work, you ask?

I didn't show them the reliquary, but during conversation I mentioned that I was participating in a show, and planned to take along some"junk".  They were curious, and we talked a bit about re-purposing and using scraps.  They asked to see what I was selling, and I showed them.  They bought 3/4 of the stuff, and now I have to make more for the sale.  ( I didn't have that much, about 12 purses)  They also admired my quilting, and it looks like I'm going to get a class out of that.  Gives me food for thought.  I've often said that I consider myself more of a technician than an artist, and it's my technical skill that is paying off right now.

Re: needles  Quilting needles have quite sharp points, which is much better for working with cottons. Multi-purpose needles, or all purpose needles are just that, and they work on everything because they have a very slightly rounded tip that is needed for anything with a polyester content. But you still have to have the right size for the job you're doing, and this is determined by the size of thread you're using.  I imagine most of your work is done with a 50wt thread.  While they recommend a #90 needle for that, I've found that this can leave holes in the fabric where the needle goes through.  I've had success using a #80 needle for 50wt thread, with less chance of those holes.  But having said that, I use titanium coated needles, which are much stronger.  They don't break, they bend--same disaster, but less chance of shrapnel.  I also use a topstitch needle which is less likely to cause the thread to fray when sewing at speed, and is more versatile in term of the different threads I might be using.  I could send you a package if you're interested in trying them  (Maybe through the mail, rather than on the bus)

I had a great breakfast this morning.  I stir fried a chopped apple in a teaspoon of oil ( coconut oil, but that probably isn't necessary)  I beat a large egg and soaked a slice of multi-grain bread in it, and then fried that in the same pan, after setting the apple aside.  When it was brown on both sides I topped it with the apple and 1 tablespoon of chopped pistachios.  Very nice!  Overall, I think I'm starting to see a increase in energy, I'm sleeping better, and walking better.  Not sure what's causing the improvement in walking, but I'm not complaining!

Today we're off shopping.  I went through my entire bead cupboard and didn't find any long black bugle beads, so will be trying to find some of those for the reliquary.  I need more "greens" for my diet,  and then I need a couple of very cheap plastic table clothes from the dollar store to protect the floor while I do some mono-printing this afternoon, so I can start making more "junk", once the reliquary is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment