Friday, December 4, 2020

A bit of Chaos (long)

  Up early again today, and musing about yesterday. Somewhat of a chaotic day around here.  I wanted to work in the studio.  I got down there about noon, and somewhat quickly accomplished what I intended, only to decide that one thing didn't work out the way I wanted.  I just as quickly lost any ambition to do anything else.  The rest of the day was spent watching tv, and working on my EPP.  Meanwhile, David was making what we hope is Multigrain Rye sourdough bread.  He started about 10:00 am, using a recipe that the two of us devised by combining aspects of three different sourdough bread recipes that we've used successfully for years.  Well things did not go well.  The bread didn't rise quickly.  David relies on the written recipes thoroughly, so if it says let rise for about 1 1/2 hours that's what he does. Didn't work out that way. Now, he tidies up as best he can, while he's working (Thank you Lord!), but still leaves the area ready for the next step.  He also frets over his work, like a true artist.  Meanwhile I'm just putting in time on Facebook.  So the bread is rising starting about 1:30.  This stretches to supper time.  No, not ready to cook yet.  Meanwhile we have turned the heat up in the house, and I'm melting, but still just putting in time.  We watch the news.  David watches something else, while I fool around on Facebook a bit more, and face the knowledge that I'm somewhat addicted to it.  Then I ask if I can watch the interview with the American President Elect and the Vice-President elect.  Bread is still sitting there, rising, and we debate whether we should just give up and throw it in the bin. The we watch the analysis of the interview.  Now it's 9:00 pm.  I have been in my housecoat ready for my bath for two hours.  (Didn't happen).  David decides that it makes no difference whether we throw it out cooked or raw, and puts it in the oven. It has been rising for 7 hours. Then we watch the rest of the analysis of the interview.  Now it's 10:00 pm.  David realizes that if he wants to make white bread, he needs to make the overnight starter portion of the recipe. and does that.  Bread comes out of the oven, and the loaves are very small, but look and sound like bread. It has been in progress for about 12 hours. The kitchen is a mess, and we go to bed.  Now I face a day that starts with a messy kitchen, and will progress to more bread making.   It's laundry day, something that we both dread, but recognize as essential. But we're not bored!

Heard from Amber that Jessica has been diagnosed with ADHD.  The school has now worked out a special learning process for her, however that might work with remote learning.  Jess's problems with school have been long standing and I applaud Amber and Darren for pursuing the reason and a solution.  Beth, I think you had some negative experiences with special learning needs and a non-responsive school, that had a real impact on your life for awhile.  I marvel at how attitudes and responses have changed so quickly over the years. I also remember Loren and his wife agonizing over Jeremy's needs in school and the effort it took them to to make sure that the school followed the plans that were developed.  Not an easy road.  Yesterday David and I discussed how such things were never identified or accommodated when we were young, or even when my children were young. In  some of the reading I've done, I've heard the term "lost boys" used to describe the fate of boys (and it was usually boys) with such issues in school.  They were just left behind and usually quit school in grade 8 or 9. Today one can no longer make a living, or even find a job, without, at least, finishing high school.  I guess it has even affected my children, when we were forced to send Loren to St. John's, in response to a very non-responsive school.  In many ways that had a significant impact on our lives both socially and financially, especially after we took Amber from one  one school district to another , and had to pay non-resident fees.  It's not easy raising children-period.

Other than David's breadmaking and the laundry, I have little planned for today.  I know that I have to  solve the problem that came up in my studio work yesterday, and laundry day is often spent in the basement.  Since I'm following my diet book precisely, I already know what I'll be having for supper, and don't have to worry about that, but we'll have to find something for David--something that he can have with fresh white sourdough bread.  He has a freezer full of options.  I'll be thinking some more about families and children and grand children, still musing about how the future will turn out.  Have a good day ladies, and be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment