Friday, December 25, 2020

And a merry Christmas was had by all---Not!

This day has been a screwup from the beginning.  We found a new icon on my computer and clicked  on it.  In response, our Bitdefender virus program went mad with all sorts of notices and shut down the computer.  We weren't able to do anything, and ended up phoning Geek Squad for help.  After almost two hours, and him messing around in both our computers and showing us dire problems, to do with a lack of protection between the actual computers and our server, we caught on to the fact that we weren't talking to the Geek Squad and were, in fact, being hacked to get our personal information.  We very quickly shut down the whole system, even turning off the modem.  They evidently disguise themselves to troll in people calling the Geek Squad using Google to acquire phone numbers.  So-what to do?  What to do?  Well, I made an effort to find a more reliable number for Geek Squad, and called it.  I still used Google but didn't take the first nor the second or even third option but rather the 4th. It looked much more reliable than the others. This time I got a more familiar set-up and felt confident telling them what my problem was.  They then walked me through things very carefully. explaining everything they were doing.  I was able to recognize the prompts from previous encounters and felt confident working with them. The lady had to review our full system ( two computers), and did indeed find malware that had been left behind to further mine our data.  This process took another two hours, and I had to sit by and monitor things so as to respond to anything she required from me, such as plugging in David's computer when it started to run out of power.  At the same time, I was on the phone to the credit card company to advise them of the issue.

This all left David to prepare our supper vegetables, and get the meat out.  Then we changed places so I could get the meat ready to cook, and in the oven.  Supper, itself, ended up being put together quite quickly, and was somewhat of a disappointment.  The lamb was less than expected.  ( Of course, Gail telling me that the lamb, the meat had come from, was called "Freddie", didn't really help)The potatoes and Pip'n'squeek were great, and I just put together a daintie tray for dessert.  We had a bought a nice bottle of Merlot to go with the lamb.  I enjoyed it, but David less so.  Then, after supper, I opened my computer to post a picture of me saluting my two sisters at 6:00, and wasn't the damn thing wanting to do an update.  And didn't that, too, take two bloody hours!  Then, I sat down with my computer, my camera and attempted to post my picture.  No way in Hades could I get it downloaded from the camera card to the computer.  So, David's computer.  Nope, not even a card slot to fit the card.  So, off to the basement to use my old computer.  Microsoft won't accept my password.  

So ladies, it's now almost 10:00.  I have poured myself another glass of wine.  I had plenty before but now I will have some more.  So there!  Be assured that I did raise my glass at the appropriate time and be assured that David did take a lovely picture of it.  Maybe one day you'll see it.  Not today.  I shall enjoy my wine while reading a silly "Sisterhood" book by Fern Michaels.  Those women never have days like mine.  Be safe ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment