Monday, March 8, 2021

Weather

 Gosh, with the warmer weather the snow is just about gone, even out in the country.  Had a meeting out in Selkirk today,( Sunday)and the drive, with dry roads and sunshine, was a pleasure.  There were still quite a few ice fishing shacks, with accompanying trucks and cars, out on the river, but I imagine that won't be safe much longer.  Several of the studio projects I've been working on haven't worked out well, and I've given them up.  I decided that I was trying to force it too much with the looming deadline for the exhibit in May.  I have barely enough, for the show, but enough to make it work.  

Yesterday we bought David another computer. He has needed one for awhile.  This is a stressful, and significant, event in our house.  Even the salesperson admitted that the technology is changing so quickly that they can't keep up.  They no longer sell laptops with large monitors--unless one is willing to pay almost $2000 for them.  But they do sell a device with the monitor and computer built into one, with  a separate keyboard.  Very pretty thing with a large enough monitor that old duffers can actually see it.  Unfortunately, the keyboard is very lightly coloured ( beige with white letters) and difficult to see.

We left his old computer with them overnight and all of the information on it was transferred over free of charge--as per our contract with the Geek Squad.  But, as always, there are a few things that they can't do, So I spent a fair bit of time sorting out  what I could, and then left David to make phone calls.  One was to Shaw , as the Shaw e-mail was one thing that only they could do.  As always, this took awhile and I had to step in to follow the verbal directions from the lady over the phone.

(Insert picture of the moon and bats flying around in the dark)

So, now is Monday morning.  Yesterday, all being said. was a busy day, and I had promised myself a quiet, peaceful day today.  Yeah, sure!  Jobs are already starting to pile up.  The ceiling in the bedroom needs to be washed (don't ask-not anything "kinky") That may prove interesting as neither of us is in really good shape this morning. But we've been procrastinating over it, even with things like ladders and very high stools sit in the house waiting to be used, so today will be the day.  There is paper work to be done.  This is something that isn't too demanding physically, that I enjoy( to a certain extent--I wouldn't pay for the privilege), and gives me a good sense of satisfaction to see completed.  I've run out of basted EPP pieces in the most important colour of fabric.  Those need to be cut, and basted.

I cooked extra chicken last night, while making supper, so as to have something almost ready for tonight's supper.  I had last night's supper planned well ahead of time, knowing that the day's timing would be tight.  I planned to have tacos and had pulled the green pepper out of the freezer, when the chicken as pulled out, early in the day.  The chicken had to be cooked first, so did that, and chopped up the spinach.  Got the shells broken up and waiting on my plate-I can't manage tacos in their shells.  Then I put everything in the pot to cook.  Opened the plastic bag of green pepper only to discover that it wasn't green pepper but green beans.  So supper was green bean tacos.  'Nuff said!

We had our taxes done last week.  With the high medical expenses, and having to deal with the Disability Tax Credit for the first time, we took it to H&R Block, in the mall.  Very different this year.  All the info was dropped off, he called us when it was done. and we went in, masked and socially distanced, to a bare walled, former greeting card store, and signed the agreement, tax form sight unseen.  Once I paid him, he sent them off electronically.  While we have paper copies to keep for 7 years, we haven't looked at them.  All things considered, we made out like bandits.  I had no taxable income, and will get everything I paid back.  David paid nothing but provincial tax.  So we'll be able to afford both David's computer, and a new hearing aid for me ( as planned when I got the new one for the other ear, last year)  That Disability Tax Credit is the gift that keeps on giving.  Of course, the very high medical expenses, coming from including the bathroom renovations we had to make to facilitate access to the bath tub, increase the chance that we'll get audited. So for $25 each, we have purchased audit insurance that will mean that H&R block will deal with the audit, and if their work is proven faulty, and costs us money, the insurance will cover up to$3000 each.  I figured that it was well worth the price. 

And so the week starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment