Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Be - Summer in September?

It must be summer - two weeks of lovely weather with no rain to speak of. The weather is wonderful so far although today is rather chilly and overcast. It is amazing how quickly the leaves are changing colour already. Usually into October before we see dramatic changes but is is only Sept 15 and the landscape is tinted with reds and oranges, and the ground is covering with layers of fallen leaves.
I attended another lesson of violin this afternoon. I am the only student booked for the 2:30 pm slot and consequently will be paying additional $ as a "private" lesson. That is OK with me - it will give me some dedicated time to work on technique. Today I learned that I was holding the bow incorrectly so a major modification is necessary - this may cause me some grief to perfect. My poor old hands aren't what they used to be and I find my dexterity is compromised greatly lately. Oh well, gives me something to worry about!
Yesterday we went to Mothers as usual - I took all my completed quilt blocks ( 35) inorder to lay them out and organize them as to order related to colours and best mix. Shortly after arriving, the telephone rang with one of Mother's sisters ( from near Hamilton) stating she and husband were in area and would like to come for lunch to visit. They were going to bring lunch as has been the habit lately of her family when they do happen to visit. So the idea of doing any work on the quilt was quickly ended and the box put back into the car. Of course, I was the chief cook and bottle washer as usual but that does not really bother me as I know this is my role. But the positive part of this day was that I spoke at great length with her husband ( Uncle Bob) who was "laid off" unceremoniously 20 years ago from his high paying and prestigious job ( he developed the bearings that work the joint on the CanadaArm on the space shuttles) It brought a great deal of comfort to me to have the opportunity to discuss this with someone neutral and yet totally understanding of the way I feel currently about being layed off. It helped me to put a few things into perspective and I think, has improved my outlook on the situation somewhat. So truely, things happen for a reason don't they.........I'll try for the quilt thing on Thursday when we go again - the reason I want to do it at Mothers is that she has the space for me to lay it out on the floor to get a birds eye view of what it might look like when sewed together. I do not have the space here at home.
Otherwise spending time doing garden work and produce management - overabundance of tomatoes necessitates green fried tomatoes for supper last few nights but that's OK as they are tasty. Ripe tomatoes are turned into juice which goes great in beer so all is well!
Son Mike was offered and accepted a contract job with the Algonquin Regiment ( his unit) to be an Instructor so is extemely happy to have this full time for at least the next year or so.
Anyway I should go for now - was at the library again today to exchange books - have another Cussler thriller to start on tonight - one book will last me a week or so with reading only done at night before bed. Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment