Sunday, September 27, 2009

More frustration

While we probably won't ever know everything about why we do and think the things we do, I think you may have touched on part of it. Cathy, when you talk about Beth and I belonging to the "caring" professions. We both learned and practised a supportive. listening role. We both learned to keep our true feelings to ourselves, not only at work but on the home front as well--"for the good of the family". Now we're at a stage of life when neither of those reasons carry the same weight as they did when we were younger. As we both age, we become less adaptable in response to changes in society and our role ( *note* I didn't say we were more inflexible or more judgemental) And-- as you say--less willing to suffer fools.

In terms of the language issue. I agree that there is something special about anyone who has any level of skill in a second language. But in North America, English is the language of commerce. We expect to be able to conduct business in English. I was taught that the person who first engages any prospective customer/client will set the tone for the entire interaction. The telephone person or receptionist is the first face of the business. (There's a reason that receptionists often get a clothing allowance.) I was angry at having to actually go to Misericordia to arrange a record transfer. So I was approaching the interaction from a state of anger before I ever got there. Not a good thing from anyone's point of view. I was even more angry when I found out that there was no actual reason for me to go. The whole thing could have been arranged over the phone.
Argh-h-h! Now I'm getting wound up again! I think it must be fall-out from an e-mail I got this morning. I sent out an e-mail to the marketing co-op asking who had tablecloths belong to the co-op. I said in the e-mail that I had already received responses to a previous e-mail from three people and named them. Today I got a response from a fellow telling me that his wife, who has a different name, was his wife and not a member fo the co-op. Yeah--so what--what do you want me to say--or do? She responded to an e-mail I had sent him. I knew she was his wife. Was I wrong in thinking that she might be responding on his behalf? Should I ignore all further e-mail from her? What's your point, buddy?

Well, I think my best course of action from here on would be to go to my studio, put on soothing Solitudes music, and make pretty things. Maybe I will be able to adopt my "therapist" persona before I head for a co-op meeting this afternoon--where we will be discussin tablecloths..

No comments:

Post a Comment