Monday, March 31, 2014

Nothing on the calendar this week

At least there wasn't when we got up.  And I was seeing a whole wee to spend in the studio.  Well it was nice the think about.  We now have shopping trips, appointments to welcome my rug home and get the baseboards back on the basement, and an appointment to sort out some money for the local art group ( I have it and the treasurer needs it, which means that I go over to her house on Bartlett).

I have been feeling better since we got home from Cuba, and am actually managing to spend some time in the studio.  We are also getting some power cooking done.  Did up three meals of Daddy's ribs in the slow cooker on Saturday, and today have my biggest slow cooker absolutely full of tomato meat sauce for spaghetti and lasagne.  My middle size slow cooker is full of chili, and there was enough hamburger left over for a meat loaf for supper--something we haven't had in ages.  Saturday night I cooked hamburger hash for supper--or as the Scottish side of the family calls it--mince--again something we haven't had in ages.  Neither of us enjoyed it, I think because I no longer use Seasoned Salt, which was my mainstay of seasonings.  Without salt it was flat and unappetizing.  Scratch that from my list of "go to" recipes.

I've been trying to think  of what other parts of our trip I can tell you about.  I think I mentioned that one day we went for a ride in a horse-drawn cart.  We asked the fellow in charge of the entrance portico, and he called -by phone-to get us a cart.  "Twenty minutes" he says.  Well we sat by the entrance for over an hour watching all of the comings and goings, quite enjoying ourselves--constant activity.  Finally our cart arrived pulled by a decrepit looking horse, and driven by Hector, who spoke very little English.  The ride was to the nearest town and supposed to take an hour and a half.  This was along the highway with cars and buses roaring past us.  The area was hilly and the views were wonderful.  We saw fruit plantations, cattle, many goats,and a number of different horses in fields.  I was quite taken by the difference in the appearance of the horses.  Some looked healthy and well taken care of, and some didn't.  The other thing I frequently saw was hens with chicks, along the edge of the road.  

The town was small, but contained a number of apartment buildings.  These all had many balconies and every balcony was a different pastel colour.  We had timed our trip for when the children appeared to be getting out of school--all in their uniforms. Other parts of the town were obviously poorer.  The signs of poverty were heart rending, mainly the houses, which made me think of the old shed at the lake, small dark, unpainted, and falling down.  But every house appeared to have a small vegetable garden. Where ever we saw people, they were well dressed.  Obviously appearance is important.

We were both upset at the horse drawing our cart.  He appeared underfed, and frightened.  Hector was quick to use a whip, and there were often hills that were just too much for the horse, with Hector getting down from the cart and pulling it along.  At one point there was a trail along the edge of the road on an uphill portion, where sand and gravel had been laid down to provide better traction for the horses.  ( There were quite a number of carts taking tourists around)  We declined an offer to take us to a "mini-zoo", and our ride was a little shorter than the 1 1/2 hours, but I'm glad we went, for the scenery if nothing else.  But I have to say that the time we spent waiting for the cart, and watching all of the buses and taxis--most of them vintage American cars, very well restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment