Saturday, December 16, 2017

I am reading a book

It's "Lake Agassiz" by Bill Redekop.  Non-fiction, and a very detailed account of the geological history of Manitoba, plus more info than you ever wanted to know about life in historical North America.  Bill Redekop used to write a column in the Free Press, documenting his travels around the province and the interesting people and places he visited.  The reading takes some concentration, and I'm getting through it chapter by chapter, but I am absorbing what he says, and finding it interesting enough to continue.  I just finished a chapter on the elephants of Manitoba. Evidently, there is a government published  piece titled "The  Fossil Elephants of Manitoba".  Out of print now, but available electronically by phoning the Historical Resources Branch.  What I'm finding interesting is how the geography of the province was almost completely created by the lake.  This is not to say that I'm getting through it quickly.  I also have a thriller in the bathroom for more recreational reading.

There is a lot on my plate right now, studio-wise.  By considering the due date for stuff, I've worked out a time table, giving consideration to the family Christmas here, and the anniversary and birthday events coming up.  It looks like I'll be busy in the studio until close to the end of March.  The gift shop at the gallery in Selkirk is rotating stock on Feb 4th, so this week, and into next, will be preparing new stock for that.  Then I have to finish my hexie quilt.  I am committed to a special project that must be completed by Jan 28, but after that things calm down.  Thank Goodness.

Also trying to settle into "Life as an almost Blond".  Still don't like it.  This may be the last time I do this.

Christmas tree is up, and our share of the gifts wrapped and in place. Yesterday we did our grocery shopping for the feast, but I may still have to pick up a couple of last minute things.  We bought our gifts for each other, both Christmas and birthday--tickets to the Randy Bachman concert in March.  We have never been to a concert before.  Shortly after we moved back  to Winnipeg, the Eagles were at the race track.  I had wanted to attend, but we couldn't really afford it.  It's been a sort of thing between us since, and we never found anything that we both might enjoy.  David is still unsure about this, but agreed.

Okay, lunch is over, and time to go back to the "salt mine".

No comments:

Post a Comment