Sunday, December 31, 2017

Losing local businesses

Unfortunately, this is a real problem, as internet shopping becomes the way to acquire things.  I have patronized Sheena's since Carolyn's shop closed, although I did go into it again, a few times,  after Kathryn took it over.  Add into this, the fact that Nordic Needle in Fargo has also closed, and is now only doing on-line business.  Needlework supplies are not so bad, as you can get colour charts that offer actual samples of various threads, so you can see what you're getting, but it sure isn't easy to find the more sophisticated and unusual threads.  I wanted to stock  up on curved beading needles, prior to Sheena's closing, and she had none.  I tried Nordic Needle and couldn't get through their ordering system, so ended up on Amazon.ca.  I've ordered, and paid for needles from some shop I've never heard of, and was supposed to receive them, by courier ( DHL and I remember the problems you've had with them) ,  between December 27th and January 2nd. And paid through the teeth for them plus postage. We'll see.  I also ordered some clear plastic bags for my book marks, and they arrived in jig time, but I paid more for postage than I paid for the bags. I've been ordering my machine sewing thread over the internet for two or three years now.

The other side of this is that we're using my little credit card more and more all the time.  We had to provide a credit card number before the plumber came out, and David used it for that.  I've been assured by PayPal, that we are insured, for a healthy amount, for any credit card fraud or theft, not only through them, but also through the credit card companies. David still doesn't trust enough to give out our big credit card number over the phone or internet.

The big chill continues.  I've got a doozie of a cold, and David now appears to be coming down with it.  So any plans for tomorrow are up in the air.  Not being well enough work on anything important, I'm puttering away at more book marks, while David watches old movies.  And we both nap frequently.  Ain't it great to get old!

No comments:

Post a Comment