Sunday, December 3, 2017

Ruffles

I think I know what you mean Beth.  They were called "Ruffles", and I can't say I remember seeing them lately.  But then, I avoid the cookie aisle whenever possible.

Yesterday was the last day I have scheduled, to work, in the gallery in Selkirk.  It was quite a day.  There was a long planned event called "Holiday Alley", where one block of the main section of town was closed, and a variety of events took place over two days.  This block of street is an old street and there are spaces, here and there, between buildings containing a wide walkway to the street behind.  There was something happening in each of these "alleys", as well as at many of the businesses along the street.  On the street itself, there was an auction of hand made wooden ice fishing shacks, and the local blacksmith had set up an actual forge where there were demonstrations etc.  It appeared to be a crowd favourite.  I know there was a"chili cook off" competition, and quite a variety of other events. (David and I didn't walk around to look.)  At the other end of the street there was a craft market.  I had actually seriously considered renting a table, but, at the time, the plan was to have the crafters tables along the street itself--for two full days and evenings--in December--in Manitoba.  David and I decided that we weren't up to that.  Obviously, at some point, it was decided to put the crafters into the senior's centre.

Within the gallery, the room had been specially decorated for the season, but especially for this one event.  There were choirs and musicians scheduled about every hour, all day.  ( The young woman who performed her own compositions over lunch was excellent.  I quite enjoyed it.) The gallery gift shop did a "land office" business, but there were actually people interested in the art.  The show had been listed as one of the events of the affair.  The show comes down today, but all of the work is being kept by one person, in preparation for the show traveling to other areas of the province, over the next year.

Today is my ATC group luncheon. We all have  made little "accordion" books the size of ATCs, with little pockets that had to be filled.  I really don't know what to expect.  I love the little bags I made.  There are older ACT's in some pockets, a bag of beads in another. I made a new rubber stamp of a feather, which I tested 8 times, and put in yet another pocket.  I even added one of my older book marks into another pocket of each.  The paper  I used to make the book is scrap book making paper that I painted and stamped to improve the look.  Each one has a little plastic snowman button glued to the front. Then I put them into clear plastic bags that I had on hand.  I know I bought the darn bags for something, but who know what it might have been.  Glad I found a use for them.




No comments:

Post a Comment