Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Be - the "s" word..

The weather forecast on the TV tonight has mentioned the "s" word for the weekend (yes, that would be snow) At times even now with the drizzle outside most of the day, it almost feels like it is snowing. We went to North Bay today and bought a new portable phone for Mother - it is set up here at home to charge and I have to read the manual tonight to see how it will work and how to set up the speed dialing for her. On Thursday when we go, the real fun will begin when we try to instruct her. If it becomes too much, then we will have to stop and it would seem that we will have a new phone for ourselves I guess! New devices these days are not made for those with visual, or manual dexterity deficits. As I browse through the manual I wonder if even I have the intelligence to make sense of it all.
The little convenience store up at the corner called The One Stop will close its doors on Sept 30 after over 30 years in business. This is where I buy all my lottery tickets, and cards, and the sudden impulse bag of potato chips. I shall miss it - the trail I took from home to the store was a favourite for me and the dog. There are two other stores in town - neither as close nor convenient, nor as friendly. The owners say they can no longer compete with the Grocery Store - Foodland in town and be able to keep their staff paid well - they both were covering a lot of the shifts themselves and they say it is now time to retire. There is no sign of the store being sold yet but they may have something in mind down the line. It was always a favourite stop for all the kids (and grownups I'm sure) on Hallowe'en as the owner would dress up and always had a table of chocolate bars, or chips,or pop to give away - really good stuff!
Well, I better finish the phone instructions as I wish to watch the new season opener for Rick Mercer at 8 pm - it will feature a Winnipeg Goldeye baseball team game and I like to see things about Wpg or Manitoba. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment