Monday, September 13, 2010

Lots to learn

The new computer has Windows 7, while the old one had Windows XP. Of course the lap top has Vista. The "Geek", Chris, explained that Windows 7 has integrated all of the office-type funtions in one program, so there is no need to to install three or four different programs. So now my calendar, and e-mail are all on one screen, which is fantastic for the way I work--not that I'll get much chance until David has had his fill of poker. Chris was able to recover not only my e-mail "saved" folders, but also all of my contacts, all of my documents, and our taxes for the last few years. As part of the recovery process, he loaded everything onto a memory stick for us to use as backup in case this ever happens again. We had been quoted $29.95 for every single item that we asked him to recovery, and we had paid for the e-mail files, only. The fellow making the appt said that he( Chris) might give us an extra "free-bie", but we sure didn't expect that he would so so much. He also took away the old equipment. He said that he volunteered at a day care that used computers as part of preparing children for school. It sounded as though the Day Care also had an after school program, so older kids would be able to use them too. So I guess there was a little "tit for tat".

By terrible coincidence, while he was demonstrating the new e-mail program, a message came in telling us that our friend Garry had died Saturday evening. I think I mentioned a friend who had gone into hospice in Selkirk, although I probably didn't mention him by name. His daughter had brought her child to visit from the Netherlands when he first started on the bone marrow transplant unit in June, and managed to get back to be with him ( as did the rest of the family) when he died. This has hit me harder than I expected. I count his wife, Susanne, as one of my very few true friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment