Friday, September 10, 2010

Finally--jam

Yes I mentally "girded my loins" and the two of us got down to it. We carefully calculated how many jars we had and how many lids, then determined that we had to go shopping before we made the stuff. I don't mind the making of the jam, it's the preparation and clean-up that is so doggone much work. Anyway we now have 30 jars of Rhubarb Pineapple, Strawberry Rhubarb and plain Strawberry jam labeled and put away. Then David got out all of the fruit we've been putting away over the summer, and that has been prepared and strained and I have a full ( read full) large mixing bowl of juice to turn into jelly tomorrow. This will be my bramble jelly--all the fruit that is in the freezed and getting out of date. Usually this has been strawberries, blueberries and a few respberries. Then I buy a bag of frozen mixed fruit and throw that in. This year for some reason there have been blackberries in the store, and we didn't go out to Portage to pick strawberries. So the jelly willl be very heavy on blackberries, a few blueberries ( I keep buying them to eat, and when they taste like dreck, I freeze them.), a couple of bags of strawberies ( dated 2008) and one pint of raspberries. Then David threw in the last remaining bits of rhubarb. That I get to process tomorrow.
When we were done I sat down with a cup of tea and decided to play one poker tournament while I calmed down and got ready for my nap. Darned if I didn't do well ( the best I've done in over three weeks), and ended up playing for over an hour.
No bike riding the last couple of days--poor weather--and the weekend doesn't look good either. I've been reading books by Karen Robards--romantic suspense. I tried a British police book by Ian Rankin that I just gave up on--far too gritty for me. He's a well known and respected suthour,so maybe one of us was having an "off" day.
Uesterday i got the top finished for a small wall quilt with pandas on it. I'm quite pleased. Now I want to start the another top with fish, and using the African fabrics I bought. I would like to have both of them done in time for a sale october 23rd in Steinbach.
but my nap was short and I don't think this is a night for sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment