Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Be - Watson on Jeopardy

Neither of you likely watch Jeopardy on CBC but tonight is the third of three episodes utilizing an IBM computer called Watson against two real contestants. This show is on now as I write to you. It has been interesting to watch as the computer is faster to click into an answer and it is annoying the other contestants. But the computer is making a few mistakes as well. One million dollars is on the line with the real people donating 50% to a charity, and IBM contributing 100%.
I went to North Bay this morning to help Aunt Evelyn with Uncle Walter. He was discharged from the hospital today. I was at the house and welcomed him home, and then looked after him so Aunt Evelyn could go to get her hair done. She came back with a huge wrapped fruit basket for me as a thank you. I hated to accept it but did so graciously for her sake. It was supposed to be freezing rain today so was dreading the drive, but thank goodness that forecast changed and although mild at 0 to 2 degrees above, it did not rain, and I had an uneventful trip both ways. Now, tomorrow it is freezing drizzle and we have to go to Mothers. Can't seem to avoid it!
Funny about memories Cathy - I often go into the past and think of happy times (keeps me sane). But it is sort of weird your recollection should come out of the blue like that especially to hear the music. Mom loved to sit at the piano and play - I wish had been more interested in lessons, or at least wish Mom hadn't so quickly given into my plea to quit. I sit in my livingroom and stare at my piano standing against the wall untouched. What a shame - would so love to sit down at it and bang away on the keys. Mike still expresses interest in having it, but so far no sincere offers to come and get it. Now with his new roommate moving in, there is very little room in his place anyway. Maybe one day I'll make an effort to clear away the junk covering it and the bench, and have a go! (talking about dust Patty, the piano probably would not even be able to play!) Last year I watched every episode of Republic of Doyle that comes on at 9 pm Wed nights on CBC, but I can't seem to be able to stay up that late anymore so have missed out this year. I watch the commercials for the upcoming episode and swear I'll watch it, but here we are again tonight, and I'll have to throw in the towel, sign off this blog entry and go to bed. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment