Thursday, February 17, 2011

How Loren got his name

Memories are funny.  With all of the trips to hospital the issue of first names always comes up.  Loren has laughed about being asked, when he was in hospital, if they could call him "Jim", and replying "no, but you can call me Loren".  I always knew that I would name a son after Daddy, but hated the idea of "Big Larry and Little Larry"  Do either of you remember the neighbour who used to get drunk and play the bagpipes at 2:00 in the morning?  Mr. Kerslak, who lived on the corner of Maplewood and Mabel. For some reason he always called Daddy Lorne, and I knew that's what my son would be called.  However, my best friend's  family had a boarder named Lorne, and there was no way I wanted to get into that, so chose to change the spelling to Lauren.  Which worked until Loren was in  high school and decided that Lauren was a girl's name. I was really glad I did change it when, years later, I heard the story of a woman with two husbsands, from a very remote source, and realized that it was the story of my friend's family,-- her mother, father and the boarder.  And that's enough said about that --on the internet.

The execises are causing a lot of pain.  One in particular is more painful than I believe it should be.  This week has been hell on wheels, but is over now until Sunday.  I'll be very happy to spend a couple of days doing as little as possible at home.  Or I was until David told me that we have no bread.  And we're in the middle of a blizzard.

So, I have a big glass of Southern Comfort, and I'm in my nightie, planning to sleep until morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment