Thursday, November 24, 2011

my turn

It's so nice to hear from both of you.  I'm just up from a nice nap.  Have been trying to avoid them, but the devils sneak up on me.  The rental car we have is a Jeep Patriot and neither of us is comfortable in it.  David has complained in the past about the Seebring being small and close to the ground, but this thing makes me feel crowded on the road.  David says that it's because I'm up at the mirror level on other cars and it makes them seem closer.  I've ridden in a lot of vans and never felt as crowded. Tthe snow is just about gone with the warm days we've been having.  From minus 21 to plus 7--only in Winnipeg.  So ice is a big worry right now, especially in an unfamiliar car.  The repairs are going to cost us extra, as they found that the block heater cord had been chewed to shredds by "rodents".  Those cute little squirells wouldn't do that, would they?

I started  new class--sort of.  I found a group of ladies who are slowly working their way through a quilting /design book. I signed up last Thursday evening, only because I already owned the book.  Then I couldn't find the book, and had to order it off Amazon.  Did that Saturday, and was told it had been shipped on Sunday then received it Wednesday, just after the Tuesday night class.  So I've spent this morning working on the exercises, trying to catch up.  I'm not sure the first exercise is going well, but I'm probably the only one who will see it.  I plan to start the second exercise this afternoon, and get both of them to the point of hand stitching, before Saturday.  I have another day long volunteer session at the Gallery in Selkirk and will need something to work on.  The show comes down that day, and I would have had to go out  anyway to pick up my pieces.

Had a meeting postponed because of the Grey Cup, but David is interested. His parents used to have season tickets.  There was a lot of hoopla about the Eastern final being the very last game in the old Winnipeg Stadium. There was even mention in the Free Press about a lady who remembered seeing a football game in the old Osborne Street  Stadium.  I remember going to a circus with Grandpa McGrath that was in a big building on Osborne where the Great West Life building now is.  I wonder if it was the Osborne stadium?  I was very young, and can't remember a lot of detail, except Grandpa kept buying me food, until I was sick.

I wish I had been at the magazine sale, Beth, as I seem to be missing one of mine, and back copies are hard to find.  They now put them all on cd or dvd and sell them to you a year at a time.  If you ever see February/March 2010, please grab it for me. I've been a subscriber since the beginning, and know I had the magazine at one time, as I made something out of it.

We enjoy eating out once in awhile (--or maybe that's the "Royal We").  It's almost a little bit like a "date night", or as much of a "date night" as people who have been married for as long as we have would consider.  But the cost does add up.  I figured that our biking breakfasts were costing us about $150.00/month, and we really cut down this summer.  Of course, I was less enthusiastic about going out on the bike, if there was no breakfast involved, so we compromised on a drink each.  After the prices went up, the two drinks cost almost as much as the breafasts had, a couple of years ago.  But we've found the same thing at McDonald's, and only rarely eat there now.  I'm now noticing the lack of consistent biking this summer.  I'm probably in the worst shape I've ever been, and I'm not sure how to deal with that right now.  Although the way the snow is going, I could have been out on the bike today.

Any way, now it's down to the salt mine again.  Can get an hour's work in before worrying about supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment