Sunday, November 13, 2011

Whe-e-e-w! Rough day!---Rough weekend!

Friday was a stitchery day with my Ravenesque group at my friend Ann Marie's house.  Talking to Dianne the night before, she told me she wouldn't be coming, as she and her husband had found a new place to live and he needed the car to start moving some of their boxes.  So very early Friday morning, I was off to Steinbach to pick up Dianne.  A beautiful drive so early on a holiday morning.  I was able to see many, many flocks of geese rising out of the fields, along highway 12, to start flying south.  I was a few minutes early, so we took a quick trip to see the new house, although we didn't actually go in.  ( Check her blog if you want to know the whole story)
Then into the city and pulled into the visitor parking at Ann Marie's block, where I stepped on the gas, not the brake and drove the car into a high curb and a 8" pipe from draining the downspouts onto the parking lot and not into the suites.  I killed her ornamental scarecrow and loosened her patio railing as well.  The car looked grim.  I called David and we were both concerned about me driving it home.  ( thank Goodness Dianne's husband was coming to pick her up).  So my friend Rose Anne drove over and picked up David, so he could look at the car and then drive it home for me.  Rose Anne said that she would make sure Dianne and I got home.  We later found out that she expected to have to drive Dianne back to Steinbach--not just to my house.  We had a nice day and got home expecting to wait half an hour for Dianne's husband, who showed up an hour and a half later.  I thought I was going to have to feed her supper!  So I was exhausted, and went to bed early, as I had committed to spending Saturday out at the gallery in Selkirk as a docent.  But wait--I have no car!

Well Rose Anne, who was doing a demonstration inthe gallery Saturday, said that she would pick me up if she had to, and I was to call her in the morning to let her know.  David had hoped to be able to get a rental for us to use.  Nope, no-one will talk to us until I have had the car into MPI and received a repair estimate--and my appointment isn't until noon Monday.  So David taped the bumper together ( it was sticking wa-a-ay out to the side) with gun tape and drove me out to Selkirk.  I called Rose Anne and left a message on her machine ( her computer is down).  Well the joys of mis-communication!  While I was phoning her, she was sending me an e-mail telling me that she would pick me up at 10:15, unless I called to tell her not to.--an e-mail that arrived later in the day.  But, we had a great day.  We talked and laughed and each got a little stitching done, while being available for any visitors to the gallery.  I got home absolutely exhausted, went to bed early, and slept well.  Today it was off to Selkirk again, with a stop to pick up the fruit tray I had ordered for the refreshment table  at the reception.  Whoops!  They had made a mistake and prepared a medium sized tray not the small I had ordered,  but only charged me the price for a small.  So we ended up with a huge tray of fruit, most of which is now in my fridge.  It was an excellent reception.  Cousin Beryl Robbins and her daughter came, as well as David's sister Gail and her daughter and grand daughter.  We were busy from one to about 3, but ended up sitting a visiting amongst ourselves between 3 and 4.  David knew many of the people and stayed  the whole time.  But, until you've done this sort of meet'n'greet promotion, you have no idea how tiring it can be.

So for tonight, I'm grateful for somewhere to sit down--in my nightie--and the big glass of wine that I have at my side.  I'm also grateful that it's over.  I still have two more shifts as a docent, but one of them is on the last day of the show, and I would have had to be out there to pick up my stuff in any case.

No comments:

Post a Comment