Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Goulash/hash

I know Mom made it because she didn't remember other things, and this was quick and easy.  I used to make it as a quick easy supper.  Since I retired, I still mainly look for quick and easy ( the more time in the studio), but once in awhile I have the urge to create and make something more time consuming like Rouladen or Pork/Chicken Souvlaki--not that the Souvlaki takes a lot of time, just a lot of planning ahead.  The rest of the time I count on my freezer and the meals I make up and stock-pile during my "power cooking" days.  I never cook just one of something, and make good use of "planned leftovers". Both David and I have found that we like variety, which is why I'm on a constant hunt for reasonable slow cooker recipes--put it together and forget it until it's time to eat.  I've even taken to using Shake'n'Bake with pork chops--put it all in the oven and forget it until the timer rings..   Our routine is evolving, and David is taking over many of the meals that involve using a frying pan at the last minute.

I guess I'm realizing that each of our lives is somewhat different, and our cooking styles reflect what is important in our lives, but there are some old home favourites that each of us continues to use--Peskies,  goulash/hash, and toast with red jelly.  Any others?

No comments:

Post a Comment