Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Todays adventure

It's been an odd three days.  Monday I had a 6:00 am doctor's appointment,and we were out and about at the beginning of the terrible storm we had here for most of the day.  David was out to move snow a couple of times but wasn't able to keep ahead of it. but, as you say, it is mild between the snowflakes and the clean-up here is just about over.  I wish it would all melt, as our street is getting more and more narrow, and turning into our driveway is becoming an interesting problem.  I was supposed to have a meeting at the Elmwood/East Kildonan Active Living Centre ( and say that 5 times fast!!) on Monday, but a lot of the highways were closed, travel was not recommended on the Perimeter, and no-one was going anywhere!  So yesterday I was out for that, and then a bit of shopping, and out for supper.  While I was at the doctor he had given me a prescription for compression stockings, and yesterday we dropped into the store to find out about them.  It turned out that I had to be measured ( although the doctor had said that I could just get a pair off the shelf) so we had to make an appointment for early this morning.

 While we were there, we looked at winter outdoor shoes for me. The ones I've been wearing were bought before I left Deer Lodge in 2001.  Today we ordered, and paid for (Ka-a-a-ching!) one pair of stockings, and then bought me a pair of outdoor shoes (kaching! kaching! kaching! I am so excited-- and very thankful to the tax department for sending us a refund ( I hope) within the next week or so. The stocking come in black, also beige flesh and white.  I never expected that.  I could have danced out of there!  All's right with the world!  They also suggested that we check with Blue Cross to see if the stockings could be covered. A side trip toBblue Cross and found out that not only are they covered, they are covered under both of our plans, so we end up paying nothing!!  More dancing in the street.  And we are covered for up to 6 pair per year!  I can get another colour, should I choose to.

Leaving Blue Cross we decided to celebrate life with a chocolate bar.  Since we had planned to go to WalMart on Empress anyway, we stopped and went through the express checkout with our little pharmacy package.  If you know the WalMart express checkouts, you know that the entrance to them is a narrow U-shaped aisle with displays on both sides of chips etc, including chocolate bars.  We were the only people in the aisle, and reached the top of the "U" and stopped to look at the chocolate bars.  Then a lady came up behind us and, with a smile, started ordering us to move along --to keep going. We both stepped back and gestured for her to move past us, but she wasn't having any of that, and again told us to get going. David gestured again and said " go ahead, we're looking for something".  So she again told us to move along, and then must have seen something in our faces. The smile was abruptly wiped from her face,and she looked confused, as though she had found herself in the Twilight Zone.  she very quickly brushed past us and almost ran the rest  of the way to the checkouts.

All of our travels today were through parts of town that we haven't visited in awhile.  We were surprised to see how much things had changed.  I remember that when we came back from Edmonton, there was no problem getting our bearings, as nothing had changed in the years we were away.  But I couldn't say that now. There is a lot going on in this town, and much of it appears to be new development or re-development.

Young Samantha had some dental surgery today.  Amber tells me that everything went well, despite the need for an anesthetic.  Poor little thing.  And David found Arrow on a higher channel at 7:00 our time. I don't know if this would be our first choice. The sound was terrible, and there were so many commercials that we started timing them. Two minutes of commercial and two minutes of show.  We have seen the "Huntress" before.  I didn't like her then and liked her less now.  David had wiped the memory from his mind.




No comments:

Post a Comment