Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Christmas traditions

We no longer have any traditions.  David is dis-interested, and without the children, it hardly seems worth the effort.  I do bring out the Christmas dishes the first weekend in December. This year I have had the blue Christmas tablecloth on since early November when the last one died and this was the only blue one I had,  (thank you Beth).  I also put up my little tree and my glass icicles. there are about half a dozen other ornaments that go on, and when I think of them, most of those also came from you, Beth.  but, I see remnants of some of the traditions I tried to develop when I see the children or visit at Christmas, and most of those revolve around food.  Amber and her family always have cinnamon buns for breakfast Christmas Day, but later we enjoy Darren's family tradition of meat balls.  We have always made Mrs.F's shortbread.  I'm no longer physically capable of doing it, but David has stepped up for the last few years.  The larger family, especially Loren, demand Scottish Oatmeal dressing for every Christmas dinner.  And Loren has always tried to cook a bird for those times when he has had his children over Christmas. For many years, when I was working, I could buy an excellent Stollen (sp?)at work, which I served as a snack on Christmas Eve.
But maybe the most worthwhile tradition is getting together over Christmas.  It doesn't matter what you eat, if you are with the people you love, although talking about food always makes the conversation easier, when you haven't seem each other in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment