Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Funny things happening with blog?

Strange happenings that I don't understand with blog - messages telling me I have errors and to expect more errors. So I will try to write and see if it publishes.
Less than stellar week so far. Monday after supper I took dog for a walk - a neighbour dog got loose from his electric fence and bounced over to play. I chased him back to his yard but on my way back, over he came again. I allowed Scooby and dog to play and then I chased him away while I proceeded home - he was headed back to his place but in a flash I heard a huge thud noise and turned to see a truck had hit the dog on the road. The truck stopped while I ran after the dog who headed for his own yard. No one was home at his house. The dog fell onto the ground. I called with my cell phone to directory assistance for the Vet number - was connected to him through his answering service and he said he would come to where I was. In meantime the truck driver said he was going home to call police ( I told him the police would do nothing) I covered dog with my jacket and sat beside him talking but I could see he was quickly dying. I called Harry to come and get Scooby who I had tied to a tree. I felt so helpless all alone and in the dark and cold. Finally the owner drove up and as I called over to her, the Vet and his wife also arrived. He pronounced the dog dead. The owner was less than reactive in my opinion ( but then the Vet said to me later that she may have been in shock and all people act differently in situations like this.) What I didn't realize until that moment was that I had been bitten in the hand when I initially went to the dog right after he was hit. I had my mitts on but when finally looked I was bleeding a lot. So the Vet told me to get into his car and he drove over to the office where his wife attended to the wound. They were very clear that they were NOT treating me but he had been concerned when he had seen the hand on the street. Once cleaned off  it was dressed with a betadine soaked dressing and taped. They advised me to seek medical help the next day if it felt worse and also that usually a tetanus shot is given in cases of bites. I called Harry to pick me up there. The Vet and his wife were very kind - did not ask for payment even when I asked them specifically. Needless to say, this tragic situation upset me terribly and I did not sleep at all Monday night and still shocked on Tuesday. Today the shock has subsided a bit but not totally. I think this will haunt me for a long while as I keep wondering if I could have prevented it somehow?
Today was baking day for Harry. He pulls off recipes from Internet, and I get all the ingredients etc ready. And then he goes to it....after a day of baking, we have lots of delicious cookies. Tomorrow he will decorate them and then I will box them up. We'll give some to both the boys, and of course I'll eat one or two of them haha. While he baked, I did more sewing on the little Christmas throw I'm making with flannel fabric. I only had to make one trip to the store for more butter and walnuts!
Almost time for Arrow at 8 pm on TV and then to bed.  Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment