Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Prairie Garden, you say?

Last Wednesday, I attended the AGM of the Elmwood/East Kildonan Active living Centre.  The meeting was short, as there was no quorum, but they still served the cake an ice cream, that is traditional with them.  I came in late and ended up sitting at a table with a woman I had never met.  In casual conversation she mentioned that  this was her first day to relax, in quite awhile, as she had been quite busy organizing the 75th Anniversary celebrations of The Prairie Garden.  Her brother is the current editor.  She had never heard of Phyllis, but her involvement with the magazine has been fairly recent.

Today I attended an all-day workshop in acrylic painting. About half an hour before it was to end, David arrived with the cellphone and a number, telling me there was a problem with hanging my show on Monday.  I called and spoke to the lady at the gallery who was having much trouble finding a volunteer to let me in and assist with the hanging. The final result of the conversation was that we are hanging the show tomorrow morning. OMG!  Well, we left the class and rushed home and then spent a couple of hours sorting my quilts and bundling them up for transport.  The people who had said they might be available to help hang, won't be, but the gallery lady herself said she would help.  I know her and am confident she will be a asset to the process.

Yesterday, we attempted to go grocery shopping.  We got to the store. The parking lot was full, and there were long line-ups of cars on the surrounding roads.  I just knew that I wouldn't be able to cope with what was obviously a very busy store.  We went to a smaller and more expensive store and bought a few basics-hopefully enough to keep us going until Tuesday, but we also picked up a very nice looking piece of beef.  I only have a beef roast once or twice a year, and tomorrow was to have been the day.

For today, I am grateful to have had a fairly good night's sleep last night.  After everything that has happened today, I would never have made it otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment