Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Musings on clothing

The other day I was sitting outside the credit union, waiting for David, when a woman came out.  White hair, not chunky, but hard to tell.  She was wearing a somewhat shapeless, fuchsia/pink/lavender fake fur, mid-calf length coat with a hood thrown back, and had a confident, self-assured gait.  I couldn't help but think about me and my lime green-with-blue-paint-slashes parka, nicely set off with a bright red toque, purple knit gloves, along with my dark fuchsia Lug bag.  I tried to dress well when I worked, even with the limitations my job presented.  But--have I become too casual in my appearance?  I believe that large ladies have to take extra care in their appearance, but I seem to have forgotten that rule. I thought about my black calf-length wool coat, and certainly that would be a step up, but I also think of all the millions of somewhat ethnic, older women who move around the city with black clothing, a shopping bag, and a very old black purse-usually using a cane.
I'm not sure where I'm headed with this, but it's been on my mind for a few days now.  I did buy two 3/4 sleeve soft  sweaters at WalMart, and was surprised when I saw the Alia tag.  That may be as far as I need to go right now, along with use of the black coat, and maybe investin a pair of bright red dollar store gloves to go with my red tuque.

No comments:

Post a Comment