Sunday, February 15, 2015

Cutesy Names

Since I've never bought one before, it's hard to estimate the yardage.  A "jelly roll" has 2 1/2" strips cut the width of the fabric (42-44"), all rolled up in a tight bundle.  I restrained myself from opening mine up, as I'm not quite ready to deal with it yet. ( It was a bit of a battle, but restraint won)  It appears to have, at least, 5 different fabrics, maybe 7 and multiple strips of each-from 3 to 7.  I estimated about 2 1/2 yards (not metres) of fabric.  The vendor had yardages of the same fabrics, and they were selling for $14.00/yd, and my "jelly roll" cost $42.95.  But no need to cut all those strips with my poor arthritic hands and wrists. All of the fabric came from the same line and colour-way, from a specific manufacturer.   In my case "Roses and Chocolate"   by Moda.  A "nickel bag" is around 25 (I think) 5 inch squares, again cut from one line and colour-way.  A "layer cake" is a pile of squares, again in one fabric line.  I'm not sure how big, but I think they are about 10" square.  There are lots of other sizes and cutesy names to tempt one.  from 2 1/2" squares to 6 inch strips to what ever you can imagine.

Giving it some thought, the bright colours and cute prints, that I saw, I'm sure reflect the "Modern Quilting Movement".  I had no idea that it had become so pervasive.  I have no problem with it, except they appear to thin they have invented so many techniques, most of which I have books about--written in the 60's and 70's.

Today our house was a bit like an old Keystone Kops movie.  I had promised to bake cookies, and had everything out ready to start before we went to bed.  Well today turned out to be one of my "bad" days.  We both drove each other crazy getting the job done, and the kitchen cleaned up, but finally everything is back to normal.  I hope we don't have to do that again soon.  But the chocolate chip cookies tasted just as good as ever, and there are two batches of Butterscotch Refriderator cookies in the fridge.

Now the serious stuff.  If you have a tentative schedule for next December, Beth,  we have to start making some plans, because it sounds like you will have less than a week with us.  Cathy, if we are having dinner and an evening out on the 28th, how many nights accommodation would you like me to arrange for you?  (My treat)  We also talked about going out for sushi, and I wondered about lunch on the 28th, whether the men join us or not.  (There are a couple of sushi restaurants quite close to the house.)  Is there anything else we might want to do while you're here?  Maybe a "Games night" at some point?

No comments:

Post a Comment