Saturday, March 30, 2019

Coincidence?

Further to my request for ideas other than a china cup and saucer, I was reminded of our old traditions/habits once I started to read a new book last night - another Joanne Kilbourn novel by Gail Bowen called 12 Rose Street. Early in the book the character Joanne went to her daughters for tea and here are a few excerpts from that discussion:
           "Meika and I both believed that tea should be served in                      china cups and saucers, the thinner the better, and that                    morning she had chosen my favourite Aynsley for the Earl                Grey"
And then further on:
           "After Meika left I poured myself a second cup of tea and                  gazed at the impossibly delicate cup that held the Earl                      Grey.  My marriage to my late husband, Ian, had taken                    place in the time of cup and saucer showers"
She then went on to describe the tea cup in a very detailed and descriptive manner.  I laughed to myself and thought how simple life seemed to be at that time? I remembered being with Mom once at the Eaton's store (in the basement Discount if I recall) and her buying some cups and saucers.  By the way, I also vaguely remember being with her when she bought the large saucer /tea plate cups that we all share now, .... or I could be wrong.
Anyway that was a quick aside to life and wanted to share it with you. Take care  ps it is now snowing down hard here - I just brought in the pump form outside - maybe have to find the snow shovel !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment