Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Thoughts for the day

The depressive episode from a couple of weeks ago seems to be hanging around trying to catch me off guard.  Other than maintaining my vigilance, there doesn't seem to be much I can do.  Thank Goodness the issue is mild and controllable, provided I become aware.  And I am happy to consider the approaching Spring.

Today I read some obituaries.  The husband of a friend has recently died, and I would very much like to read his.  Instead I found the obituary of a man  who was part of my working life.  He was much more of an acquaintance than a friend, but I knew his wife well, and worked closely with her for over a year.  At first I was a little dismayed to realize that he was actually younger than me, but as I read on, it said that  16 years ago, he had been given 3 months to live.  What a blessing it was for both him and his family to have the gift of those 16 years!

How can we train ourselves to see life as a gift and a blessing?  It's a general thought that man's life is  "three score and ten"-seventy years.  This means that every day I live is a gift beyond what is my general allotment.

But--does that mean that we have some sort of obligation to find some meaning in our days, and make sure we use them in meaningful ways?  Or is it enough if we're grateful for what health we have, and the pleasure we find in what we do.  Not sure how to look at the 2 hours I spent this morning playing Candy Crush, but I know there are no regrets.


No comments:

Post a Comment