Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Surprise!!

Just having settled into our imposed isolation in the house for 4 days, we were very surprised this morning to get a phone call telling us that the car would be ready by 3:00 this afternoon.  What's more, when David arrived to pay for it, the bill was almost $100 less that we expected.  There was no charge for the bit of extra work we had requested.  Unfortunately, we hadn't even got to the job list I've been preparing for over a week.  That will have to be tackled tomorrow.  But I will be able to head out for my coffee when I need a break.

The "stitch-In" that I spoke of was this afternoon.  It was nice to meet three ladies who live in the area, and are Embroiderers' Guild members.  We met in a very nice condo on the fifth floor of a building on Henderson Highway.  This was only about the 3rd time I've ever been in one of the very many buildings along that stretch of road.  The view was wonderful, and there was no highway noise.  I understand that this is a problem in many of the blocks.

While we were there one of the ladies spoke about how much help her father, and after his death, her mother had received from Veterans' affairs, especially with yard work.  Whatever the program, it's aimed at keeping veterans in their homes for as long as possible, so household assistance and personal care may also be provided.  From what she understood, all that is required is service overseas and to be in receipt of a military pension.  David has both, so he's going to see what he can find out ( we already know they won't talk to me).  I know there used to be similar programs for second world war vets, but it sounds like the program has been expanded in recent years.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

No comments:

Post a Comment