Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Flowers and tortillas

I've now twice tried to figure out  how to make a dish I remember from the many pot luck lunches we had at work.  This was over 20 years ago, but was all the rage in the 90's.  It involves layering food on a 10" tortilla, and rolling it up tightly, in the fridge over night, and then cut into about 3/4" rolls.  I've used flavoured cream cheese (garlic and herb, in my case), and very thinly sliced Black Forest Ham, rolled around Gerkins. I quite enjoy it, but it certainly isn't Dr. Phil approved. Regardless, I plan to continue experimenting.  I just wish I could roll them more firmly.


I've been taking pictures in the garden.  The extreme heat has been hard on the flowers, but this is Manitoba, and it is only 13 degrees today.  Go figure.  Here are the Geraniums we took out of the hanging basket and planted in the old sink.


The Bleeding Heart in the hanging basket is just about done flowering, and has berries.  Who knew!  We know nothing about it, and I'll have to do a little research.  We're wondering if we could plant it in the garden and have it grow another year.


I have no idea what this might be.  It comes in white as well as the blue you see here.  I'm quite taken with it, and have figured out a method by which I might be able to re-create it in fabric using dye.
Unfortunately, the wild roses from next door are just about done.  The heat appeared to be very hard on them.


But the Mock Orange is an old reliable, and faithfully bloomed for July 1st, as it has very year since we moved in.



There is a down side to this.  The news and newspaper have been reporting that this is the worst year for Aphids in quite some time.  Absolutely everything outside is covered in Aphid droppings from the large Elm tree.  Evidently Elms all over the city are particularly badly infected.  We have to wash the tables and chairs outside very time we want to use them.  The umbrella is absolutely foul to touch and is probably ready for the garbage.  We keep the car in the garage--always.  After walking around taking these pictures, I was shocked to find the soles of both shoes heavy with grass clippings and discarded rose petals.  The only way to get them clean was to use a scrub brush and hot soapy water, over  a pail.  I thought I better keep the "stuff" out of the sewer system.

Quiet life continues.  David has finally got an appointment for a haircut-tomorrow.  Me not yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment