Sunday, July 4, 2021

The Spinsters

The Spinsters coming, once a year, was probably one of the most exciting things that happened around our house. The house cleaning frenzy in the days before they arrived, and trying to find "the tablecloth", the only one, for the kitchen table.  Then one of us was sent to the bakery on Osborne St for the Cherry bread, that had been ordered.  The only time it was in the house, as it was considered too expensive for us kids to eat.  But I remember us quickly eating any that might be left over the next morning. After David and I moved back to Winnipeg in 1975, I became involved with both Lorraine Iverach and her husband Bill Brereton, her through the Embroiderers' Guild, and him through work.  Her Mother, Mrs. Iverach had given me a Bridal Shower with all of the Spinsters in attendance, as well.

This warm weather has also given me  a faint memory of her dealing with hot weather and small children was to bring the two laundry tubs she had outside, filling them with water, and letting Beth and I sit in them, wearing only our panties.  She put them on the east side of the house, which was usually in the shade. I was about 5 and Beth two.  She and the mother of the family living in the house next door at the time, Mrs. Frick, would sit in lawn chairs watching us and sip on some sort of beverage, possibly beer.  The Fricks had two young girls as well.  I know that there is/was a picture of this somewhere.

You remember her rubbing your chest to help you breathe, and I remember her softly blowing in my ear, to warm it and help the pain of recurrent ear infections.  And making all of us lemon and honey to ease sore throats, even if sometimes she knew we asked for it just because we liked the taste of it.

She was a caring and devoted mother to all of us, but had a rough time with Post-Partum Depression after Beth was born.  That's when Auntie Lorrain and Grannie had to step in to help care for us.  I wonder if that might have been the beginning of her decline, or if it started when she had to go to work, and needed to get sitters, mainly for you, Cathy.  I know she was highly educated, and had worked in very responsible positions before getting married, but married women just didn't/ weren't allowed to work in those days, so it was almost social suicide for her to take a job, and a terrible admission that a man wasn't capable of looking after his family.  I remember the family joking about Uncle Mernie saying publicly that his wife would never have to work outside the home, and all the while she was working her butt off at dressmaking and alterations, in their bedroom, while he was working elsewhere.

The other memory I had was of the time the next door neighbours went on holiday, and the Crabapples on their tree ripened.  Beth and I picked them all, and Mom made Crabapple jelly. We had no idea that they had arranged for someone to come and pick them.  These people arrived and no apples.  We were sworn to secrecy, and never spoke of the event to anyone--ever.

One of my fondest memories, and one that tells us much about her, was when Grandpa Hughes came to live with us, after suffering a stroke.  It seems that his wife wasn't capable.  Mom cared for him for several months--total care.  The only assistance was once a week, when he needed a bath.  With his bad back, Dad couldn't help, but the next door neighbour would come over and assist Mom.  Now, given my training and work, I know what a burden that must have been for her, especially with two young children, and might even have caused the lengthy time between Beth and you Cathy.  I have also often wondered if that might have been behind the rift that developed between Mom and her step-mother.

Well, I don't know if this is of any interest.  I'll keep trying to come up with memories


No comments:

Post a Comment