Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Home again!

We prepared for this trip the way we would have prepared for a week in Cuba! I can remember years ago when I would call David from work on a Thursday at noon and ask"do you want to go South for a couple of days". He would phone for reservations, pack a small bag and be ready to leave when I got home. This trip took days to get money and clean the house etc. Saturday night he carefully set the clocks back an hour for Daylight Saving time and we were off to bed early.(Think about it)

Sunday night as we were getting ready for bed inthe hotel I realized that we didn't have the cell phone. David was annoyed at me for walking out and leaving it on the kitchen table, but I was more concerned that I might have lost it during the day. I think I drove him crazy talking about $180,000 in roaming fees for someone calling all their relatives in India. In the end we agreed that we each made the other one nuts. Anyway, we got home and--no cell phone. After much stress, discussion and stress, we called down south and found it. David is most anxious to retain the number, so writing it off isn't an option. So, today, we are off down south again to fetch it. Having had a birthday, I can attest to us both being older and not up to the long drives, so we will be forced to spend another night. This means writing off another two days.

Luckily I was able to do most of the final arrangements for the AGM of the artists' co-op after we got home late yesterday, despite the computer acting up. I accidently deleted the entire folder for the AGM--and I have no idea how to restore anything. After sending appeals for help to the other directors, I, by chance, found the folder as a sub-folder of my deleted files ( I had screamed and yelled and poured a drink after not finding it in the deleted file) Accessing it was, and is still, a problem, but I was able to get a couple of things out.

How can people say that retirement is boring?

While we down south we didn't really do a lot of shopping. I found two delightful "Easter" hats for the little girls and bought them both ( one dollar each) David found a pneumatic power stapler for a surprisingly low price. We have been looking for one to use in mounting some of my work. He already has a small compressor that he uses with the power washer. He spent most of the evening trying to get it the stapler to work, so while we are down there we will be taking it back to Menards--an extra 70+ mile trip to return a $20 stapler. One thing I did find was temporary spray fabric adhesive. It was $10 for a large can. A different brand than I'm used to, but the usual brand was $16.00 for a very tiny little spray can. So I hope this one works. I only need it to work for a very short time, while I'm putting some layers together, so I'm sure it will okay.

While we were away, the geese came back. There was a lot more snow down there than we have here. A lot more water too. While we didn't see any signs of river flooding, there was some overland flooding. We saw nothing going through Grand Forks, but the paper today says they are on high flood alert. Our backyard is now clear of snow, and I can understand why you two are antsy to get into the gardens. I want to get out the patio furniture, but hope to control any urges to do anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment