Friday, November 12, 2010

Home again

after a flying trip up to Cathy's to pick up the poultry she and Jim had bought for us at the Colony. I had awoken feeling pretty rotten, but the day picked up nicely after Cathy gave me a T3, shortly after we arrived. Cathy made a very nice soup for our lunch, but it was drive up, eat and come home. Just before we left there was a flock of about 10 Evening Grosbeaks at the feeder. They were beautiful! I've never seen them before and I think they deserve a prettier name--Golden Grosbeaks, maybe. My book says that they love sunflower seeds and can empty a feeder in a very short time. Sure hope Jim was ready with refills when they were needed. The birds sure weren't shy about coming when there were people there,but a little more cautious when the dogs were out. Cathy and I talked about recipes, and bored David to tears so he ended up watching TV with Jim, and then we all took a walk to look at the swath of devastation through the bush. All of us really feel that it must have been a small tornado that almost touched down. We were stopped by a RCMP check on the way out, just west of Headingly, right by the scale. We waited in line until the officer came to us, and then he just told us to wait a moment and then signalled us back onto the highway. The people that were pulled over onto the shoulder were all young men, so, for once, we were glad to be over 50!

Stopped at Dollarama on the way home and picked up some real cheap acrylic paint. Then I made four more pieces in the same technique as my class from Wednesday. So far, they look better than the three pieces I did in class with the very expensive paint, but I have to wait until the first layer dries before I can put the finishing touches on them. This is a technique where you squeeze some paint on and then spread it with a credit card. Then you look for figures in the swirls, and do a bit of brush work to bring them out. Except, during class I couldn't see any figures. Another student found some peppers in mine, and then we looked at each other, and she said " Alright, I know they're really penises, but I didn't want to say that". This from a very proper lady whom, I believe, may be older than I. Maybe not so proper, she talks about travelling with the "man I'm seeing", and is still wearing her wedding rings, so who knows.

A meeting out in Selkirk tomorrow afternoon. I've done a little preparation, but it may still turn into contentious meeting. I'm not looking forward to it. Thank Goodness, I still have a little left in the mickey of Southern Comfort I bought to take to the Retreat.

Good night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment