Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Life lived in a fog

I had to mail a parcel today to a woman in California.  It was an important parcel--two quilted wall hangings that are going to a special exhibition in New England.  There is a mail strike pending and I wanted to get the parcel out of the country asap.  We went to the Post Office and bought a box to pack them in, and got all of the customs forms etc., went home, and got the parcel ready.  She had sent me an e-mail with all of the important info in it, so I carefully addressed the parcel with the printed copy of the e-mail beside me. Then off to mail it.  The Post Office lady questioned the zip code and then said, "but it's going to California and they're always different there".  She understood why I was so worried and told me about the questions she had been getting today.  But it was off, and I had been promised that it would be on a truck to California tonight. ( Air freight would have cost over $120.00---"nuff said).  Later I was at home cleaning up all of the debris and re-read the e-mail.  I had addressed the parcel to her phone number.  Luckily I made it back to the Post Office before the parcel made it to the truck, and they allowed me to change the address.  And how was your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment