Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sunday again

A very quiet weekend.  I've been working on more charity quilts.  I  finished the blocks for one this afternoon,and David trimmed them to size for me.  Then after supper he helped me with some of the cutting for a second set of blocks.  The lady who co-ordinates the project has other ladies who do nothing but hand finish them for me, so, all I have to do is the block it self, which is "quilt-as-you-go".  I enjoy the structured work, and it's all by machine.  It's the cutting is the problem, and the coordinator normally sends the fabric and batting already cut.

But I discoverd that our freezer is almost bare, so it looks like there is "power cooking" in my future.  I had been planning supper for next week when Amber and the girls come over. I found a very interesting receipe for marinated, broiled ( or B-B-Q'd) flank steak on the Kraft Canada site.  I only ever use one recipe for flank steak so was anxious to try this new one. Well--we went to three stores to look for flank steak only to be told that it is so expensive right now that the stores aren't even carrying it!   So, Amber, you won't be eating flank steak next Sunday!  But, yes, Beth, it's the right time for rhubarb pie, so there will be one in our house in the next few days, but not Sunday, as Amber and the girls aren't really fond of it.(I've failed as a mother.  They don't like Rhubarb pie.  How did this happen!!).  As it turns out, I may also be making one for the neighbour across the back.  He was asking David when the rhubarb would be ready, as we usually give him some.  We passed along a bottle of rhubarb wine to them this year but haven't had any feedback yet.  They were warned that it was quite sweet, for some reason.  So much so that I sure won't be drinking much!

We didn't get my lion out last year, as Loren, with his broken leg, wasn't able to help.  ( Didn't Mike do it one year?  I have some sort of vague memory of it--pictures even.).  I had really wanted Lion out this year, but when Loren and the children were over at Easter, Loren was too sick with the flu to help. So David put Lion in the wheelbarrow and moved him into position, as a surprise for me. It sure was, as he ended up with his back to me--not what I was expecting at all.  Quickly fixed, though, and now I can see him sleeping in the sun from the kitchen window.

Spent some time this afternoon watching a reality show called Tabatha's Salon Takeover, where a highly respected hairdresser moves in to help salon owners who are having difficulty. Yes, we waste a bit of time watching stupid shows.  I think there must be a reason that they call it the "idiot box", or maybe we're just looking at "creeping dementia".  Tabatha is almost as good as "Celebrity Rehab".

No comments:

Post a Comment