Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Hobbies

I have to wonder if we all need hobbies that don't involve chocolate.  Maybe we should take up quilting--but no-- that usually involves chocolate. ( Go figure!) My painting isn't going well, but tomorrow is the last class and I think I should show up.  I don't want to be thought of as trying to make a statement, that I don't really mean. The flaw is in me, not the teacher. I think my ambitions outrun my skill level.

Today we ran errands. Took some receipts into Blue Cross, went to the bakery for bread, dropped a small parcel off at the thrift store, and then hit Walmart ( yet again!) for giant size colouring books for little girls.  We try to keep one or two around.  It keeps them busy, and somewhat quiet, while we're cooking supper and playing cards.  Yesterday there was a whole big shelf of them and two left today.  A whole wall rack of markers but no crayons.  Well, you can get crayon off the walls with a little elbow grease, but not marker.  So we'll have to try again after Christmas.  And we bought Brandy Beans!  It must be Christmas!  The only time they're in stores.

I found  a large Damask tablecloth at the thrift store, so now I'm planning a dyeing day, but I'll have to buy a little more dye first.  I've found that I tend to go back again and again to a purple/blue/burgundy palatte, so the dyes I have left, are mostly browns and greens.

I think I sub-consciouly try to plan small outings, just to get us out of the house.  Otherwise I can see us not leaving home for days at a time--maybe even weeks.  It has happened before in our lives and I never want to see those days again.  We need social contact, even if it's very informal, or we loose the ability to participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment