Tuesday, December 20, 2011

nanaimo bars

The same thief who took yours, appears to have taken ours.  Yes, a whole batch made for supper on Sunday and gone by mid-afternoon today.  Luckily I didn't tell anyone about the second batch that's hidden in the freezer for Sunday. Judy is taking baking, and I'm taking baking, but Amber still wants a special dessert, so we put her in charge of that.  At these family gatherings, I figure the one who supplies the house shouldn't have to do much toward the meal, but if it's that important to her.... 

The dressing recipe is
4 cups Scottish oatmeal, coarse ground, if possible ( **steel cut oats, not rolled oats**)
one onion finely chopped
1 cup ground suet
salt to taste--up to 1 tbsp
Add enough boiling water, or stock, to make a loose, paste-y (sticky) consistency

You can stuff the bird with it, or wrap in tinfoil and cook beside the bird for about two hours.  Serve hot.  The next day it can be stir-fried to re-heat.  The recipe can be cut in half, or doubled, with no problem.

Beth, it's so good to hear you more at peace with yourself.  Mike is lucky to have you.  If you were closer, I would even hire you--if the price was right.  I hope his housing works out well. 

Just enough time for a poker tournament before our tv show at 9:00.  And it's above freezing again!  While I'm grateful, I'm getting annoyed at having to repeatedly take my parka apart, so I can use just the liner.

No comments:

Post a Comment