Tuesday, December 20, 2011

They were here, and now they are not.....

..Nanaimo bars, that is! I made a wonderful pan of the darn things the other day – had an absolute great time fussy about, measuring and mixing, and getting it all right. They turned out fabulously and even after taste testing a third and a fourth square just to be sure, they were still very very tasty. I feel as if I have been eating myself through day after day and enjoying every moment. To be fair about the squares though, I did take a plate of dainties to Mike this morning so part of the bars went to his home and I really did not eat them all. Harry had his share as well. I even tried my hand at making Daddies shortbread and have been enjoying a few of those in between other snacks. Shameful? Not on your life – it has been refreshing to feel so much pleasure even if it is of the hand to mouth kind! I watched The Santa Clause last night on TV, and tonight they are showing Part 2 and apparently Wed night they will show Part 3. I 'm not sure I am that interested but have been trying to view some of the Christmas "classics" such as The Polar Express, Home Alone, and Miracle on 34th Street. I see that they are showing a lot of the animated shows eg Rudolph and Scrooge but these do not get my attention at all. There is no snow yet and by the sounds of the weather forecast we may likely have a greenish Christmas – it's great for the driving but I still miss the thought of snow on the ground. I am going to Mike's on Thursday to tidy up a bit – some time ago I promised him I would do this for him at any time if he so desired, and since we are going for the day on Sunday, and he is working all this week, I volunteered to go on Thursday which he accepted. Harry will go to Sprucedale to bring home another load from the garage, so I can go up on my own and spend some time at Mikes. I'll take my vacuum and cleaning supplies and make a coffee and see how much I can get done. The little cat keeps to himself as he is afraid of people in the house, but there are workmen working on the house over the last few weeks – upgrading to bring the house up to standards so the property holding company can either sell, or rent the other two units that are currently empty. Harry bought a big box of hardcover books at the auction last week, and so I have looked them over and do not recognize any authors but have started with one and will gradually try to read at them. This author is Barbara Delinsky which I have seen in the cheap stores where I browse and I think it is a romance book and probably most of the others will be as well which I really don't like but who knows, it will be books to read and something I enjoy. A good romance might just perk me up!! And the highlight of my day was to go into the Metro ( old name is A&P) in North Bay and found the Bob's Red Mill display absolutely filled with all sorts of goodies including Scottish oatmeal which I now have in my cupboard at home – thanks Patty for the lead, and thought you would like to know that I had no trouble in finding it! Now, what I'll do with it is still in doubt but I can always cook some up breakfast, right! Take care for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment