Thursday, December 1, 2011

Listen to your body

Beth, you have just come off of an extended period of relentless stress and physical labour.  Your body needs a break.  It was several months after I first retired before I could even begin to think about moving on.  I even napped everyday, and after I retired the second time, I napped everyday for several years.  You must look after yourself.  And, yes, you will notice the lower physical energy, but this isn't being unproductive, it's a very normal and necessary reaction to what you have been through.  In terms of myself, I feel as though I have just wakened from a lengthy sleep--somewhat like Rip Van Winkel.  But even that didn't happen over night.  It has been three months now, and only within the last 2-3 weeks has my need for a daily nap lessened. You are an expert at finding small joys and  pleasures, and I'm always love to  hear how you find ways to indulge yourself with them.

 Unfortunately, I am now very much more aware  of how neglected my house has become.  This isn't necessarily a good thing, as there are other things I would much rather spend my time on.  However, I managed to give the bath tub a good scrub out this week.  This is the first time in 18 months that I have been able to kneel down.  My left knee has been very slow to recover from my fall in July of 2010, and I hurt it again when I fell last January.  I just couldn't bear weight through it to kneel. If I had to guess what the problem was, I would have to wonder about a small fistula just below the patella, that had been draining off and on until about 3 weeks ago.

Today I went for a haircut, and there was a sign advertising three specials for the month.  One of them was only a couple of dollars more than I usually spend, so I indulged.  A special shampoo and rinse. then a scalp massage, a "precision" haircut, blow dry and styling.  She talked me into getting a very young style, although the cut itself can be styled into my usual, next time it gets washed.    I could have paid an extra $2.00 and received some free product.  As I was leaving I noticed a basket of the "free" product on sale for --you guessed it--$2.00.

So for today, we should be grateful for small, (hidden?)pleaseures, and our capacity to recognize them  and indulge.

No comments:

Post a Comment