Wednesday, April 18, 2012

McCafe

Went out with my friend Shirley ( 80 years old) for coffee today.  She often asks me and I rarely go, so feeling a little guilty about this, I called her today, and suggested it.  She wanted to find out what the McCafe's were like, now that McDonald's have set themselves up in competition with Starbucks and Tim Horton's. ( She loves her coffee especially if it's "tarted up") 

Well, I just wanted tea, but trying to tell them that I didn't want cream or sugar just wasn't getting through.  The woman behind the counter was older, white hair etc, but she finally comes out with " Oh, you want it black".  Seems to me that tea is "clear" and coffee is "black".  When did that change?  And I noticed at the banquet on Saturday that putting a spoon in your cup no longer signifies tea.  Now does this mean that I'm getting old?  Or does it mean that the serving pesonnel are not being trained as well as we were?

Back to my story.  I was there ahead of her, and sitting down when she got to the table.  She was obviously very unhappy, and showed me her paper cup and wailed that when she paid over $2.00 for a cup of cappucino she expected it to be served in a crockery cup. She was so very disappointed, but I just told her that no matter how you dress it up, McDonald's will always be McDonald's and isn't it nice that there are some things in life you can count on. I don't think she wanted to hear that.

Sunday night, after getting home, I ordered a book from Amazon that the vendor at the show didn't have.  It arrived today.  I was looking at it this evening,and am I ever inspired! I want to make quilts, and I want to do it now!  The book is Mickey Lawler's "Skyquilts".  If you remember, Beth, she is the teacher I was so excited about when we were in Ottawa.  I now have enough work to keep me busy for several months.

Otherwise a quiet day.  I've been using vitamin E oil on the skin on my finger, and it's getting much better.  I can now brush against my clothing or use a towel and not jump with the pain. The colour is good too.  But I know I'm sacrificing position and range in order to preserve the skin integrity.  I hope I don't reget that, but would probably regret losing the finger more.

No comments:

Post a Comment